- VAR websites exhibit *low*, *slow* adoption of marketing assets
- VAR websites contain *outdated*, *out-of-brand* product content
How do you fix it?
Really the only tools I have had to utilize (until now) are a combination of nagging, and awarding/withholding MDF (Marketing Development Funds):
- Nag each VAR to add new marketing programs to their website every time a new program or asset is rolled out.
- Nag each VAR every time a product is rev'ed. References to version numbers need to be changed; linked product documentation needs to be changed; and new functionality and positioning needs to be documented and promoted.
- Award a VAR MDF funds to hire a web consultant to make the updates
- Withhold MDF funds from a VAR until they get their website updated with appropriate content
Also, these efforts are all one-off. After nagging, cajoling, and bribing one VAR to get their website updated, you need to turn around and do it all over again for the several hundred other VARs who are exhibiting problems. And then 6 months later you need to go back to that same VAR and do it all over again.
Yesterday I kicked off a project with a company called SharedVue which I believe will solve this problem. Stay tuned to this space to learn more about it.